Growing orchids in semi-hydro. The third part.
Solution.After numerous options and experiences we have come, we think, the ideal recipe. It is assume that there are better, but we we like and we have it works.
We must honestly admit that to produce a solution of salts, we felt like it. Therefore, we use ready-made hydroponic solutions from GHE .
Typically hydroponic solution is made from three parts. With the predominance of nitrogen for growth, phosphorus for flowering, and separately the various trace elements. They usually are called grow, bloom and micro.
Solution of trace elements is for distilled or municipal (tap) water.
A bit about water. In nature, the water we drink orchids, rain or condensation mist. And almost distilled, slightly soft water. PH 6.8 (not including acid rain). Therefore, for orchids or use pure distilled water, the water after the filters or reverse osmosis water or condensation dripping from air conditioners. Distillate is very expensive, and we do not have air conditioning. Can use only tap water. Our municipal water has a PH 8-8.5. Few words about how we prepare the water and on the regulation of PH can be read here.
Return to the solution. Here's the recipe:
For 10 liters of water: Diamond Nectar.
It is worth adding that all the components can be bought in our store.
Why move to semi-hydroponics.
- No organic substrate - does not decompose, does not require seasonal replacement, not be compressed, all the air and ventilated very well, well-kept moisture. Because of evaporation is a cooling. Balls are heavier than water, therefore do not appear when watering. Well keep plant. Because the balls are not natural for insects and other pests - they are fewer. Balls refillable - washed, cleaned, rosted (see) and can be used again. So the budget for the substrate is very small.
- Большинство орхидей мрут из-за залива. Каким бы опытом вы не обладали, вы никогда не знаете точно, пришло ли время полива. Не однородный субстрат промокает и сохнет не однородно. Представьте себе, что возле самой шейки растения сидит плохо размельченный комок торфа! Страшно? Еще нет? А ведь это верная смерть вашей каттлеи! Этот комочек не просохнет никогда, и вы даже не поймете, почему на каттлее появилась гниль, да еще на шейке. Вы так старательно соблюдали режим полива! Залить орху при семи-гидро невозможно! Most orchids are dying because of the over wattering. Whatever experience you had, you never know exactly the time come to irrigation. Not homogeneous substrate is not dries uniformly. Imagine that the next plant neck sits badly crushed lump of peat! Frightening? Not yet? But this is certain death to your Cattleyas! This lump is not never dries out, and you not even understand why Cattleyas appeared rot, and even on the neck. You worked so hard to comply with the regime of watering! Over watter with an orchid in the semi-hydro impossible!
- One of the problems - salination. But when you use semi-hydro monthly wash with big quantity of water will very easy wash out any excess salt. So this problem does not exist.
- In nature, the water that goes to the roots, there is always a certain number of meal. And in the most convenient form for orchids - in the form of the solution. Depending on the season, this solution is more or less saturated. It is easy to modulate this in the semi-hydro method.
What does not grow on the semi-hydro.Unfortunately there is no ideal solutions. There are always exceptions. Here is a list of plants, which, in our experience or the experience of other people and from the literature are not suitable for semi-hydro.
- Vandas - there are successful experiment, but not ours.
- Tolumnya - not tried, but the literature is given a specific indication not for semi-hidro.
- Jewel orchids - our bad experience.
- Bulbophyllum - our bad experience.